Wednesday 12 January 2011

Ill de Re

Christmas was all fab, new year's eve party was quite lovely too, first day back at work was hectic and the first day back at training was a catastrophic mayhem!!!

Sometimes..., it just feels safer to daydream on memories than to struggle with what's ahead of me. It feels little more satisfying and reassuring knowing 'oh yes, I had a good year'. That silly little feeling gives me an ultimate sense of hopelessly unrealistic optimism I adore. 

And... I smile, romanticising everything will all be just fine! 



My dad used to take me to fish markets on Sunday morning. He would wake the whole family up at the crack of dawn and drive through the town that was still fast sleep. 
It was never very exciting arriving at busy market. There was always this man standing in front of the crowd looking like a preacher, shouting mysterious numbers and codes to people. It was full of rather smelly and dirty narrow endless isles.
My dad will walk around maze like corridors of isles and brows all stalls and would eventually be satisfied with all of his findings. Then it was time to head home to participate on cooking it.

I didn't get it! 
At that time, I always thought it was boring, pointless... I don't think any of us understood quite why it was so important to my dad and what kind of joy he was getting out of dragging all of us from our beloved lazy Sunday morning lying in.

Then the lesson slowly crept into my life and became very existent enjoyment. 
Market is full of life!
Full of love and care that fulfills every one's fundamental needs with such an affection. There's passion that livens up the spirit of every hungry souls and empowers people to communicate and share.



Toby shucked oysters and I made simple shallot vinaigrette.
He prepared the BBQ with his brother, I made endless kinds of salads with my joyous findings. Nanny, grandpa and K was on duty of sending my gorgeous niece R to night nights.



The Sun was still up and high smouldering us with warmth. Occasional sea breeze came as a pleasant surprise kissing on our cheeks to cool us down. 
With laughter and jokes shared around the table, such an inexpensive rose tasting top dollar... There it was... that magical moment firmly engraved deep into my bone. Beautiful!!

As my dad used to say, 'Family eats together stays together'. Thanks dad!


Simple Shallot Vinaigrette

1/2 shallot, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, fined chopped
1/4 tsp sugar
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 lemon juice
salt and pepper

Mix shallot, garlic, sugar and white wine thoroughly until sugar is well dissolved.
Start whisking in olive oil, lemon juice and season to taste.



No comments:

Post a Comment